Friday, August 31, 2012

Hummus

My dear friend Lamia, of Syria, Lebanon, and Egypt by way of UD taught me to make Hummus long before it was a standard appetizer (you know before brushetta became the "in" app.).

the ingredients are simple Chick Peas, Olive Oil, Tahini, Garlic and Lemon Juice....

I never had a ratio.  I always went by taste - you can add more of everything, except the beans, because then you have to add more of everything...

So I'm going to put some down a few samples from the internet and correct the blog later.

1 15 oz can of beans
1 garlic clove (range 1-2)
1 TBS extra virgin Olive Oil (range 0-2)
2 TBS Tahini  (range 1.5 - 4)
2 TBS Lemon Juice (range 1.5 - 4)
liquid as needed (from can or water)
salt to taste

Combine in food processor and process to desired consistency.

spatula the hummus into a bowl, make a depression in the middle and add olive oil and pine nuts if you have them.

You can also add ground beef or lamb (kibbeh?) in the depression to make it a little more hearty.
 .
To spice it up I either sprinkle Hot Hungarian Paprika over top
*or*
Blend in a little Thai Red Cock Sauce (Sriracha).
How's that for cross cultural?

No comments: