Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why Blog...

I started this blog 5 and a half years ago, as a tribute to my step father, Moose, and as a way to keep track of my culinary adventures.  Also to have recipes handy when I was at someone else's house cooking.

After I was divorced, and feeding two boys, I realized 1) how much my step father loved us and 2)  how much I regretted not learning from him.  He was a wealth of knowledge and wisdom that I miss to this day.

Part therapy, part legacy, part notebook, I started this blog.  If my sons ever want my recipes, most of them should be here.  

Things have changed quite a bit since I started this Blog.  I'm re-married and now a step father in my own right.  Being a step father is a different experience, and again, the wisdom Moose gave me has made me a better person and hopefully a better step father. 

Currently the boys are 14 and 11, so they were 8 and 6 when I started.   Now I have four son, aged 16, 15, 14 and 11.  And a wonderful wife who says things like "I didn't like until you made it for me.  

I have also decided to atone for my past sins by teaching my sons to cook.  It will make them better people, and better able to compete in the world.  There is an amazing amount of physics and creativity in the kitchen.  I have been amazed and pleased by their cooking, and there choice of food.  Hungarian Paprika Chicken with fried dough, Weiner Schnitzel, Shrimp Scampi, Pizza from almost scratch.  Who knew that teens had such well developed palettes, given the opportunity and encouragement?  Food is love.

When I first started this blog, this was my profile.  Now it is time to change it.

Moose was my step-father.  He cooked for 5 of us, and we were never hungry. He made the best meatloaf, and convinced me dog food was his secret ingredient.  He died July 1, 2005, and I told the story about my first dog food meatloaf when I eulogized him.  Here's a hint, he was pulling my leg...

and now...

This blog is a tribute to my step-father Dave Oyler, aka Moose. Cooking is love.  He inspired me to cook and to be a father, by example.  One of my few regrets is that I did not  seek to learn how to cook with Moose.   Now that I am a father, I am actively teaching my sons to cook... and all that follows.

No comments: