Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Meatloaf Revisited

I finally revisited the namesake dish, and have a few observations.

1.5 LB Meatloaf mix or a combo of Beef/Pork
1 C Soft Breadcrumbs (definitely makes a difference)
1/2 med onion chopped fine  (1/2 - 1 C)
1 Egg
2 garlic cloves cut lg.
4-5 TBS BBQ sauce
2 TBS Milk
1 TBS Whole grain mustard
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Top with strips of Bacon if available.

Preheat Oven.
Mix in Bowl, Place in Loaf Pan Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Soft breadcrumbs are better than broken crackers which are better than commercial breadcrumbs.
The quantity of sauce here 8 TBS = 1/2 cup did not over power the flavor of the meat.  I often add too much mustard/BBQ sauce.  Add another TBS.
MISSING: Wocestershire Sauce and Steak Sauce!
No milk flavor. I like a little hint of milk, but I am beginning to think that it is not right for these flavors.

Gravy 
I also meant to take 2 TBS of raw meat and brown / crisp it in a pan to make a base for gravy.  Since I forgot to do that I will try it with the leftover grease and some cooked meat.

meat
pepper / paprika
grease
onions
mushrooms
flour
deglaze with broth
thicken


No comments: