Thursday, April 5, 2007

Kielbasa and Holy Thursday

Today, I took the boys to Delaware Provision Company, makers of the best Kielbasa in Delaware (say mmm Garlic). I was afraid that once they saw how sausage is made, they would become vegetarians. Declan is 8 and Liam is 6.

The guy who runs (owns?) the place, Scotty, is originally from Scotland, and has a bit of an accent. We were fortunate to get there around 2, and the line was only a few people. I've stood in line for up to an hour before, around Christmas. Damn that's some good Kielbasa.

It took me over 1/2 an hour to get my order filled, because I shop for my office. Today it was 18 lbs fresh, 8 lbs smoked and 8 LBS kraut, split oddly, 1+3 2+2 2+1, among 10 people. These are my repeat customers. So Scotty invited the boys over to help him make the Kielbasa, and they were fascinated. They got to run the "meat spigot" injecting fresh ground seasoned pork into the casing, while Scotty deftly controlled the casing. Two other boys came in and ran the spigot too. Declan and Liam were fascinated, and kept asking to run it again. Scotty invited both to come back and work for him when they're 17. Liam is already planning on it.

I chatted with Scotty for a bit, while he was apprenticing my sons, and found out he had Irish breakfast sausage too. Made today, with lamb, 'tis his own recipe now, it tis. (smacking my lips.) It's not on the menu, you have to know to ask the Scot, who makes the Polish sausage, for the Irish links. Begin the bag-piping polka now...

So the boys thought the trip to the sausage factory was awesome, and we've begun another family tradition. And they love the Kielbasa, except when they bite into a whole peppercorn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I noticed your blog entry from back in 2007 today (Wed April 21, 2010) and I am wondering what hours they have over at the Delaware Provision Company. I stopped by today around 3:30pm and the place was deserted. I love kielbasa and I stopped by Johny's the other day to pick some up. It was good, but not as good as I remembered it. I heard they sold the place a few months back. I discovered the Delaware Provision Company online while investigating. Let me know if you have any opinions on which is better and when is the best time to go to Delaware Provision to pick up some kielbasa.

thanks

Brian Duffy