Monday, April 10, 2023

Rutabaga: Swedes and Tatties Smash

 My better half has been diagnosed pre-diabetic.  Time for a lot of menu changes.  Out with the starch in with the veggies. I've been working on this for years... But I love potatoes, pasta and corn.   Rice, meh.

In the UK Rutabagas are also called Swedish Turnips or Swedes.  I have no idea where I read that but I love Rutabagas and all things Brassica.  I think Rutabagas are related to cauliflower and mustard, and those are genus Brassica.  I could look that up and be correct but the stream of conciousness is flowing freely now.

I think potatoes are Tatties.  Hence Swedes and Tatties. Basically a lower carb replacement for Mashed Potatoes.

4 LB Rutabaga 1/4" dice
1 LB Potato 1/2" dice
1 Large carrot chopped
1/2 onion diced
4-6 cloves of garlic, smashed.

Boil all of the above until fork tender, drain. reserve some water if needed to thin the smash. using a hand masher or imersion blender smash to desired consistency. 

1/4 cup  butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Good Cheddar (grate yourself for better flavor)  
    Adams Reserve, Cabot Reserve, Cathedral City, Dubliner
1-2 tsp herbs du provence
1-2 tsp salt to taste
1 - 3 tsp garlic to taste
1/2 - 1 tsp ground pepper to taste

Blend all of the above into the smash, increase ingredients to taste. 


I didn't say it was healthy, just lower in carbs 

No comments: